Tuesday 7 June 2016

A few words on Dimming

Smartwatch makers in an attempt to preserve battery life made their watches go into faded dim.

Some smartwatch users have turned this dim into a feature to highlight certain elements of the watch

For me this was an area I could explore and find out more about the workings of good watches made by great designers and feel like I'm contributing to the community. I would look at a watch without a highlighted dim mode (some call it lume) and find a way to compliment the design with a dim mode

Essentially I copy layers I want to highlight and move them up the layer levels and behind a black circle that has an oppacity setting of about 50% - 70%. Then set the chosen layers to only come on when dimmed.
I learnt about auto dimming, that is setting the dim to come on at sunset, and not activate after sunrise
And then I found how to give the user the option of which kind of dim they want (this is now my preferred set up) - for this I have to thank +DJ CellFace
Every now and then I add in a colour choice for the dim mode and for this I give thanks and praise to +Ashley Hansgen

 Below is a list of some of the coolest dimmers in the Watchmaker World

The all time master of dimming is +Jim L , and probably the first to bring the dim alive. With hundreds of very tasty dims in the Watchmaker G+ community

Jims Dims






Next person worthy of mention is +Ashley Hansgen , another prolific dimmer - he usually gives the user the choice of having dim on all the time or off all together or behaving normally (that is coming on after a set amount of time)

Ashleys Dims







+Tom Hald who creates the most unique dims you will ever see on his own watches - a true master watch maker




Tom Hald Watches



And Then there is +Iain Fry the all time king of switching is also pretty impressive with dim modes too - Check him out





There are of course lots more designers that dim their watches, too many to mention really !

If you like this or think someone you know might, then please share it and spread the word


paypal.me/bowmore


No comments:

Post a Comment